Skip to Content
News Releases
Owning a U.S. vacation home may have unexpected tax costs for Canadians: CIBC's Jamie Golombek

New CIBC report offers tax tips for U.S. vacation properties

TORONTO, Oct. 28, 2014 /CNW/ - CIBC (TSX: CM) (NYSE: CM) - As Canadians look to take advantage of low U.S. house prices to buy vacation homes and escape the chill of winter, a new report by Jamie Golombek, CIBC's Managing Director of Tax & Estate Planning, warns homebuyers that owning property located beyond Canadian borders doesn't mean it's outside the reach of Canadian tax authorities.

"Many Canadians who own U.S. vacation homes are unaware that certain events may trigger taxes," says Mr. Golombek. "If you earn rental income on the property, sell or gift the property, or own the property upon death, taxes may need to be paid in both the U.S. and Canada."

In his new report, "Your U.S. vacation property could be quite taxing", Mr. Golombek provides some important tax tips for Canadians who own a U.S. vacation home:

  1. Although income and capital gains may be taxed in both the U.S. and Canada, you can generally claim a foreign tax credit to reduce Canadian tax.
  2. When selling your U.S. vacation home, consider claiming the principal residence exemption to reduce or eliminate your taxable capital gain in Canada. Since it can only be used on one property during any given time period, you will have to decide which of your properties would benefit the most from this exemption.
  3. Gifting a U.S. vacation property is generally not recommended, since it could result in a significant tax bill in both the U.S. and Canada. Differences in the Canadian and U.S. tax systems may result in double taxation, with no foreign tax credit relief, if you gift your U.S. vacation property.
  4. Consider whether to implement strategies to reduce or eliminate U.S. estate tax that may apply if you own your U.S. vacation home upon death. Some common strategies include holding the property in a trust, taking out non-recourse debt, joint ownership as tenants in common, or using life insurance to cover the tax liability.
  5. Consult with Canadian and U.S. tax advisors, preferably prior to purchasing U.S. real estate.

Mr. Golombek notes that many vacation home owners look to rent their property when they're not occupying it. While that rental income may be taxed in both Canada and the U.S., you can generally claim a foreign tax credit on your Canadian return to reduce the tax that will be payable in Canada.

"If you're a Canadian resident with a U.S. vacation home, taxation can become quite complex, with both Canadian and U.S. taxes to consider," says Mr. Golombek. "With good planning, however, you can minimize the impact of taxes on your dream U.S. vacation home so that you and your family can enjoy it for years to come."

To read the full report, please visit:

About CIBC

CIBC is a leading Canadian-based global financial institution with nearly 11 million personal banking and business clients. Through our three major business units - Retail and Business Banking, Wealth Management and Wholesale Banking - CIBC offers a full range of products and services through its comprehensive electronic banking network, branches and offices across Canada with offices in the United States and around the world. You can find other news releases and information about CIBC in our Media Centre on our corporate website at

SOURCE Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce

For further information:

Caroline Van Hasselt, Director, External Communications, 416-784-6699 or